SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:10:49 -0500
The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon)
   Tue 09, Nov 2004
   A16 BYLINE
  Lil Sabiston

HEADLINE: Women hurt most by poverty

The following is the viewpoint of the writer, chair of the Prairie Women's
Health Centre of Excellence.

Saskatoon's chief medical health officer, Dr. Cory Neudorf (Health costs
hurting battle against poverty, SP Oct. 22), is to be commended for
bringing attention to some of the ways in which poverty undermines health.

Research on the social determinants of health clearly shows that persons
with lower incomes suffer higher rates of disease and have shorter life
expectancy than those with higher incomes.

It is not only higher rates of stress-related behaviours such as smoking
that lead to poorer health among low-income people. Poverty affects the
material conditions of people's lives -- their access to safe housing,
nutritious food, appropriate clothing, medications and other basic
necessities -- all of which have an impact on their physical health.

But poverty also undermines mental and emotional health by lowering
self-esteem, increasing stress and limiting access to social support.
Poverty increases feelings of powerlessness and social exclusion.

We must look beyond individual behaviours to the systemic barriers that
contribute to health inequities in our communities.

While the links between poverty and health should concern everyone, it is
an issue of particular concern to women, because they are more likely than
men to be poor.

In every year between 1980 and 1999, the poverty rate for Canadian women
was significantly higher than men's. There are more than two million women
living in poverty in Canada.

According to the National Council of Welfare, "the poverty rates among
single-parent mothers and unattached women were more than four times higher
than the 1999 average level for all Canadians." In addition, aboriginal
women and women with disabilities have higher rates of poverty than other
women.

Our organization agrees with Dr. Neudorf that we need to think beyond
investing in the health-care system in order to improve the health of
Canadians and reduce health inequities. Our own studies of poverty and
women's health contain several recommendations that contribute to a
multi-faceted strategy to reduce poverty.

In addition to progressive taxation policies, we endorse an increase to the
minimum wage and improvements in housing, education and income support
programs. We also recognize the need for flexibility in social programs to
be responsive to the diversity of people's needs and circumstances.

And while poverty may be more visible in urban areas, it is important to
remember the income security problems facing rural people and the
additional barriers in many rural communities to accessing services.

The Population Health Promotion Strategy for Saskatchewan calls for an
"upstream" approach that addresses the root causes of poor health. Such an
approach requires a strong commitment to reducing poverty as a sound
investment in building healthier communities and reducing health
inequities.