SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:00:17 -0500
http://www2.ccnmatthews.com/scripts/ccn-release.pl?/current/1109143n.html

What do you make of this?  Progress or Steady State?

FOR:  CHRONIC DISEASE PREVENTION ALLIANCE OF CANADA

NOVEMBER 9, 2004 - 15:57 ET

Increase Chronic Disease Prevention Investment is
Message From CDPAC National Conference To Decision
Makers: Save Lives and Health System Dollars

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - Nov. 9, 2004) - Over 570 experts at the
Chronic Disease Prevention Alliance of Canada (CDPAC) first national
conference are telling decision-makers that a strong and sustained
investment beyond the three percent currently committed is needed for
chronic disease prevention, and that such prevention not only can save
some of the 400,000 people who die from chronic diseases each year, but
also the billions of dollars such diseases cost health systems.

The Conference highlighted obesity as a national epidemic, reminiscent
of the smoking epidemic of 20 years ago. It also heard that there are
specific determinants of health that must be considered at all levels of
our national health system. For instance, social and economic conditions
have a substantial effect on the health and well-being of Canadians;
Aboriginal people in Canada generally have poorer health than other
Canadians; and obesity has a major impact as it increases risk for many
chronic diseases such as high blood pressure, cardiac disease, stroke,
diabetes and some cancers.

Organizations from a wide variety of sectors across Canada made further
connections at the Conference to work together on health services,
community programs, schools and the policy level.

"The country's top experts agree, and that is the message from this
Conference, that chronic disease prevention and health promotion are the
foundation of healthy populations. This message must be heard by
decision makers at the federal, provincial, territorial and local
level," said CDPAC Steering Committee Chair Donna Lillie.

"We can make progress on obesity, tobacco use, unhealthy eating and
physical inactivity but this is more than telling people to eat less and
better, exercise and stop smoking," said Elinor Wilson, Chair of the
Conference. "We need communities that aren't built around cars, we need
our schools promoting apples instead of chips, and we need recognition
from governments that health prevention and promotion is as important as
primary health care."

'We looked in great detail at what is being done in communities, in
health promotion and in schools," said Ms. Lillie. "Now we build a
strategic plan that takes what we know is working and puts it into
practical action."

"Through this Conference we have developed a voice of influence for
change in the way we address chronic disease - a voice we know must be
and will be heard," said Ms. Wilson. "We know chronic disease prevention
can work."

Chronic disease also accounts for 87% of disability in Canada, and up to
70% of all chronic diseases can be prevented. As of 1998, the last year
for which figures are available, the total cost of illness in Canada was
over $159 billion and of that figure 67% of direct costs is expended on
chronic diseases.

CDPAC was organized in 2002 as a coalition to support integrated chronic
disease prevention as a health care priority, and has over 50 member
organizations and networks representing more than 100 individual
organizations.

-30-

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
CDPAC