From:
"Jos. F. McKenna" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jos. F. McKenna
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2015 01:55:36 +0000
Revisiting The Gilded Age -- what a great idea. http://clevelandbusinessreview.org/2013/08/16/our-gelded-age/

 Subject: Call for Papers-- Mark Twain: The Gilded Age Exposed
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2015, 12:04 PM

 SCMLA 73rd ANNUAL CONFERENCE
 November 3 - 5, 2016

 Sheraton Dallas Hotel * 400 North Olive Street * Dallas, TX
 75201

 The Spectacular City: Glamour, Decadence, and Celebrity in
 Literature and C=
 ulture

 Call for Papers:  Mark Twain:  The Gilded Age
 Exposed

 Mark Twain's The Gilded Age reveals the corruption beneath
 the spectacular =
 glitter of the period.  Mark Twain coined the phrase
 the Gilded Age for the=
  latter 19th Century and the generation in which he
 wrote.  It was marked b=
 y the Gold Rush to the western state of California, as well
 as the glorifie=
 d American Eastern Culture of the Literati, the very rich,
 and the very fam=
 ous.  He even wrote of the First Families of Virginia
 who migrated west of =
 the Mississippi and held the positions of power in the
 burgeoning frontier.=
   Because of the diversity of his writing, including
 fiction, travel writin=
 gs and lecture tours, his ideas encompass these American
 dreams of glamour,=
  decadence and celebrity.  Please submit your abstracts
 or papers regarding=
  these ideas by February 1, 2016 to Carolyn Leutzinger
 Richey via email to =
 or by regular mail to:
 Carolyn Leutzinger Richey
 Tarleton State University
 Department of English and Languages
 Box T-0300
 Stephenville, TX 76402

 Because this is a special session which I am trying to
 establish as a regul=
 ar session on Mark Twain, I encourage all of you to consider
 sending an abs=
 tract or paper.  I realize that there is a conflict
 with the SAMLA Conferen=
 ce, but there's room for us all!

 Thanks,

 Carolyn