From:
"Carl J. Chimi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2016 12:15:12 -0400
Dear Twainians,

I've seen a photograph in maybe two places of what appear to be two teenage
girls in a wagon, taken circa 1890.  The two girls are identified as Susie
on the left (closer to the camera) and Clara on the right.  I hope this
photo is well enough known as to be recognizable from this feeble
description, because I've never been able to find it online.

Now, I think, based on photographs, that Susie and Clara resembled each
other quite a bit.  But I also think they are distinguishable.  And, to my
eye, the girl closest to the camera and on the left is Clara, not Susie.
And, of course, that makes the other girl Susie.

I could be completely full of it, I know, so be gentle.  But, does anyone
know how the two girls have been identified?  I often wonder about these
things because certainly no one is alive now who knew Susie, and anyone
alive now who knew Clara knew her in middle age or older.

Which of the two girls, authoritatively, is which?  And what's the
authority?

Thanks,

Carl