From:
Barbara Kahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 2009 15:23:45 -0600
Hi Everyone,
Re. Alison's comments on Lise's wonderful article, I just thought I'd
mention for those unfamiliar with the IDM approach to best practices for
health promotion, public health and population health, that the IDM has been
very helpful to me and a number of other people and organizations in
comprehensive planning and evaluation - that is, helping ensure that
practice reflects values, theories/beliefs, evidence, and vision and
analysis of physical, social, political and economic environments
(organizational and broader). The IDM takes processes as well as outcomes
into account. The website www.idmbestpractices.ca has a lot of IDM resources
on it for those interested.

Alison asks about our struggles with values and practice - for me, I think
it's the lack of time so many people I have worked with face, so that
reflecting on values and if these values are actually fully integrated into
practice often doesn't happen due to so many other demands. That being
said - I have found in the evaluations I have conducted using the IDM as a
guiding framework that people will take the time to discuss values (and
other elements of a comprehensive approach) if they are built into the
evaluation process, and often express how much they enjoyed the opportunity
to take time out to reflect on the values etc. Another issue of course is
what happens after the evaluation...

have a great long weekend everyone,
Barbara

Barbara Kahan