Sender:
From:
Patricia Doucet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:23:59 -0500
Dear Click4hp'ers !

I'm a student at master degree and I'm studying the effects of a program to improve social integration of people with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). If you are familiar with this type of patients, you probably know that their rehabilitation is not always very easy. It requires hard work, both from the patient and from health professionals. On a long term follow up, conventional therapies are not always successful with many patients. Here, in Quebec City, there's a rehabilitation center specialized in severe BPD treatment (which is a community extension of our psychiatric hospital). Health professionals introduced a new way to help people with BPD in their social integration/rehabilitation. This new way of treatment is guided by an integrated approach (which is inspired from analytical, comportemental, cognitive and interpersonal approaches)  and is based on the identification of a "Life Project" (that's where a new emphasis is added to conventional treatments).

Briefly, the patient has to choose something that he would like to realize within 1-2 years. It could be something that he wishes to accomply and/or a way that he would like to see himself within a pre-established deadline. As well as their usual therapy, professionals help/guide/encourage their patients to work on their life project.

I was wondering if anyone knows about a program like that one elsewhere in Canada or abroad.
I was also wondering if anyone can inform me about successful programs for social integration of persons suffering from mental illness (especially BPD) that I can learn from.

Thank you for any information you can provide !
That will be very appreciate.

--Patricia Doucet, B.Sc.O.T.
  Community health student, Laval University, Quebec City.