From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2022 21:20:57 -0700
The railroads play a large part in my Twain's Geography project and
lately I've been reading about the labor strikes, the most significant,
it seems, was the Pullman Strike and its expansion out to a near general
strike of all industries.  I've been searching for any comments Twain
might have made about this, to no avail.  He had personal ties with
railroad industrialists, including H. H. Rogers, so he must have been
aware.  So far the only results of searching point to comments on the
Pullman cars and the people that used them, not on the socioeconomic
ramifications of these events.

Twain was very much concerned with those sitting in darkness in other
countries but not so much with those in this country.  I don't have
access to letters not already publish on the Mark Twain Project's site
and the events in question occurred in this later period.