From:
David Matuszak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 2015 13:08:42 -0700
Mr. Griffin:

I posted the inquiry below on the Twain Forum some time ago, but received just a single response.

Is there, by chance, any reference in any of the new Twain materials to his surfing experience in Hawaii?

I am attempting to document any Twain reference/comment to surfing ("surf-bathing") other than his comments in his novel Roughing It. (Twain attempted surfing while in Hawaii, failed miserably, and described the experience years later in Roughing It.)

My extensive review of the literature (including the Twain Project website) revealed that Twain rarely, if ever, mentioned his surfing attempt in his lectures. Given the novelty of "surf-bathing" or "wave-sliding" at the time, it seems odd that Twain routinely omitted the experience from his lectures.

Questions:
1. Does anyone have a Twain lecture review that specifically mentions
surfing ("surf-bathing" or "wave-sliding")?
2. Does anyone have any ideas or would like to speculate why Twain
prominently mentions his surfing attempt in the novel Roughing It, but
failed to routinely include it his Sandwich Island or Roughing It lectures?

I look forward to hearing from you,
David Matuszak