From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2016 10:05:27 -0600
I'd think the OUP would be the place to check. My guess is the film is the
Historical Pageant, but the line-up of big names who got honorary degrees
was impressive enough to attract attention.

I've spent some time looking for Twain in the 1897 Jubilee footage and
various film clips on youtube of NYC, ca 1900-1910, without luck. Especially
interesting are the clips of people streaming around on the sidewalks on 5th
Ave in 1905, but none are wearing white suits or smoking cigars. I've also
not found any footage showing his home at 21 5th Ave, or the hotel at the
other end of the block. I invite others with better eyes to look at these
films. You never know!

I have Art Young's original sketch of Twain charging up 5th Ave, his cigar
pointing the way, and a letter written by some young woman who saw Twain
walking along 5th Ave. She was walking with a friend who elbowed her and
pointed out Twain just as he passed by them in the opposite direction. She
said he was smaller, thinner, and less jolly-looking than she would have
expected and that his mustache was yellowed from smoking. Odd that she saw
his face clearly enough to notice his mustache, but did not recognize who he
was until her friend nudged her.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books