From:
MARK DAWIDZIAK <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MARK DAWIDZIAK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2016 03:22:19 +0000
John, Twain makes many references to reading Dickens, and the responses are mixed, just as he left behind two very different accounts of the Dickens reading at New York's Steinway Hall on December 27, 1867. Although Twain once said that the humor of "The PIckwick Papers" was lost on him, he very much enjoyed "A Tale of Two Cities," to the point of rereading it. We also know he read several of Dickens' novels, including "Martin Chuzzlewit" and David Copperfield." The first account of the Steinway Hall performance was for the Alta California and, in that review, Twain called the readings "glittering frostwork, with no heart." But in an October 1907 autobiographical dictation, Twain said that Dickens "read with great force and animation, in the lively passages, and read with stirring effect." The two accounts are strikingly different. Twain also mentions in Dickens in several interviews, sometimes acknowledging the similarities between them. In a 1905 interview with the New York Times, for instance, he told a reporter: "Dickens had his troubles when he tried to stop jesting. The 'Sketches by Boz' introduced him as a funny man, but when Boz began to him seriously, people began to shake their heads and say, 'That fellow Boz isn't as funny as he was, is he?' But Boz and his creator kept right on being in earnest, and they listened after a time, just as they always will listen to anybody worth hearing." Harold G. Baetzhold's "Mark Twain & John Bull: The British Connection" (1970) is a terrific source. I also presented a paper at the 2005 Elmira conference on the many Twain-Dickens parallels (a paper I turned around and did from a Dickensian perspective for the 2009 International Dickens Fellowship Conference). If you or your Montclair State friend would like a copy, drop me an e-mail and I'll send it to you. The similarities are many and intriguing.