From:
Harold Hellwig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2016 20:57:53 -0700
I met Vic at the Mark Twain Papers a long time ago while I was doing some
research there.  I recall his generosity in talking about his own work and
his interest in what I was doing.  I can't remember if we got around to our
backgrounds, but we had a Buffalo connection that surely helped our
conversation along.

I last talked about his critical responses to Huck Finn last Wednesday
during a capstone course I'm teaching.  We're doing one more session
(evening course, a long stretch) on Huck, and I'll include his insights
once again, as I had planned.

I send my mental grief and sorrow to his family and friends.  I will miss
him.

Hal Hellwig
Interim Director of Composition
Idaho State University