From:
Kerry Driscoll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2017 18:38:28 -0500
The Mark Twain Circle of America will sponsor two panels at the

American Literature Association conference, which will meet

24-27 May 2018 at San Francisco’s Hyatt Regency Hotel.

Please send a 1 page abstract to Circle president Kerry Driscoll

([log in to unmask]) by 15 January 2018.

*Panel 1.  Mark Twain, Politics, and Satire*

Papers are invited examining Twain’s wide-ranging critiques of the foibles

of government (including—though not limited to—imperial hegemony,

race relations, and the disparity between the ideological rhetoric of

democracy and its lived reality). Papers exploring the relevance of

his political satire to our highly fraught times are also welcome.

*Panel 2.  Open Topic—New Directions in Mark Twain Studies*

Papers are invited on any aspect of Twain’s work and legacy.

Thank you,  Kerry