From:
Erin Ottosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:30:21 -0600
SEPTEMBER NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

SEPTEMBER 2009 RESEARCH UPDATE NOW AVAILABLE

"Body Satisfaction Among Middle-Aged, Overweight and Obese Adults Over a
16-Week Walking or Fitness Centre Program"
Christina Loitz, Alberta Centre for Active Living and University of Alberta
Faculty of Physical Education & Recreation

This article highlights a study that looks at the influence of a walking
program and a fitness centre exercise program on the way middle-aged,
overweight or obese people feel about their bodies.

"The Impact of Physical Inactivity on Canadian Health Care"
Nazmi Sari, SPHERU (Saskatchewan Population Health and Evaluation Research
Unit) and University of Saskatchewan Department of Economics

This article highlights a study that estimates the impact of physical
inactivity on the Canadian health care system. The study estimates how often
health care services are being used in association with physical inactivity.

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/publications/research-update/2009/sept-ove
rweight.html

THE CENTRE TURNS 20!

The Alberta Centre for Active Living held a well-attended and much-enjoyed
20th anniversary celebration at the Edmonton Petroleum Club on September 24.

In 20 years, the Centre has firmly established itself as a key advocate of
physical activity and a well-regarded source of evidence-based resources
that help practitioners of many types with their role in getting and keeping
people active and healthy. Over the years, the Centre has become an active
living leader not just in Alberta, but in the rest of Canada and beyond.

"I cannot recall any entity with an organized approach to both resource and
e-development and dissemination that was 'there' as early and as effective
in reaching many interested folks and researchers not only in Canada but
across the world," says Dr. Adrian Bauman, a professor of public health at
the University of Sydney in Australia. "We should cherish entities like the
Centre that have contributed to the 'advocacy voice' for two decades," he
adds.

Centre director Judith Down credits the Alberta Sport, Recreation, Parks and
Wildlife Foundation (ASRPWF) with admirable foresight for supporting the
creation of the Centre.

"As a result," she says, "we were one of the earliest organizations of our
kind and have therefore been able to make considerable impact. Over the
years, the continuing support from ASRPWF has allowed us to provide
information and support to thousands of practitioners. Thanks to ASRPWF, our
other stakeholders, and our clients, partners, and friends for their
continued support."

For more information on the anniversary, see our website:
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca

--

ABOUT THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

The Alberta Centre for Active Living is affiliated with the University of
Alberta Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation and is supported by the
Alberta Sport, Recreation, Parks & Wildlife Foundation and the Government of
Alberta.

Visit our Events webpage to find out more about upcoming workshops,
symposia, conferences and other events:
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/news/events.html

Visit our Physical Activity Information Round-Up to catch up on recent
research, resources, and stories in the media about physical activity:
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/library/roundup/index.html

Subscribe to RSS updates from the Alberta Centre for Active Living:
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/rssfeedinfo.html