Sender:
From:
"George, Anne" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:01:57 -0800
John
Thank you for posting this position on internatonal listservs.

I have 2 questions:
1. I noted that the position was only "Available to Australian citizens and
permanent residents, or those with a current visa allowing employment".   I
presume this is strictly adhered to and that attaining a current visa would
be impossible before the March 28th deadline.
2.  The position is "fixed term".  Could you define that more - what is the
term? And when is it?

I am interested in that position.  I hold a PhD from the University of
British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, where I studied at the Institute of
Health Promotion Research.  My supervisor was Dr. Larry Green, who I believe
has held visiting scholar positions at your university.   I was an
independent researcher for many years before completing my Phd in 2001 and
therefore have vast experience in health promotion and public and population
health.  I have had much experience in the  areas of alcohol and tobaco,
social determinants of health, and so on.  I am curently involved in a
number of studies, including an examination of health of immigrant and
refugee children, diagnosis of fetal alcohol syndrome, study of ethical
reviews of community based research.

Thanks,
Anne George

Anne George, Phd
Asst Professor, Faculty of Medicine
Centre for Community Child Health Research
Room L408, 4480 Oak Street
Vancouver, B.C. V6H-3V4
Phone 604-875-2000 ext 6844; fax 604-875-3569

UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA

FACULTY OF HEALTH

SCHOOL OF MEDICAL PRACTICE AND POPULATION HEALTH

Senior Lecturer/Lecturer in Population Health (Fixed Term)

Position No. A49/03

This new position is located with the School of Medical Practice and
Population Health, Faculty of Health, University of Newcastle, Australia
and is being established in collaboration with the Hunter Centre for
Health Advancement, a unit of the Hunter Area Health Service.

The Hunter Centre for Health Advancement has strong linkages with the
School of Medical Practice and Population Health, Faculty of Health.
This is a pivotal appointment necessary to achieve the School's and
Hunter Centre for Health Advancement's aim of increasing the exposure of
students and health service staff to innovative approaches in health
promotion service delivery and research.

The University is situated in the Hunter and Central Coast Regions of
New South Wales and is one of Australia's leading universities - an
exceptional achiever in research with an international reputation for
expertise in innovative approaches to teaching, learning and research in
population health.

This 3 year fixed term academic position will enhance an existing
research program in population health, and is aimed at attracting
external funding and postgraduate students, and contributing to the
delivery, research and evaluation of health promotion services.  The
appointee will have the potential to develop new programs and
demonstrate achievement in population health/health promotion practice
and practice-related research.

ESSENTIAL CRITERIA

1 Qualifications
1.1 Completed, or commitment to undertake PhD or research masters in
population health
1.2 Applicants must satisfy the criteria of the University for a Level B
or Level C appointment
2 Knowledge & Skills
2.1 Leadership in managing the development, implementation, evaluation
and reporting of population health initiatives and service-related
research
2.2 Demonstrated expert knowledge in population health(eg. health
promotion, epidemiology, bio-statistics, or topic-related areas eg
tobacco, alcohol, injury, HIV, HepC, physical activity)
2.3 Well developed computer and information technology skills,
particularly in data presentation and statistical analysis
2.4 Current drivers licence
3 Experience
3.1 Significant contribution to population health/health promotion
practice and practice-based research.
3.2 Publications in population health/health promotion practice and
research in refereed journals
4 Personal Qualities
4.1 Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a service-delivery
orientated environment
4.2 High level of interpersonal skills
4.3 High level of written and oral communication skills with attention
to accuracy and detail
5 Seminar
5.1 Applicants invited for interview will be expected to present a
seminar in conjunction with the selection interview process

DESIRABLE CRITERIA

1 Demonstrated practice and/or research experience in one or more of the
following areas: Tobacco, Alcohol, Physical Activity, falls injuries in
older people, HIV/Aids, Hepatitis C, and Injury Prevention
2 Demonstrated experience in developing the research and practice
capacity of health service staff

$54,031 to $76,321 per annum.  Salary level within this range will be
dependent on the qualifications and experience of the successful
applicant.

Applications Close:  Friday, 28 March 2003

Before submitting an application, please obtain additional information
about the position including the selection criteria and application
procedure in one of the following ways:

website www.newcastle.edu.au/employment
email  [log in to unmask] or
phone  +612 4921 5266

Publication and Date:  The Australian - Wednesday, 5 March 2003
Newcastle Herald - Saturday, 8 March 2003

John Wiggers, PhD

Director
Hunter Centre for Health Advancement,
Hunter Area Health Service
Locked Bag 10, Wallsend NSW 2287

Lecturer
Behavioural Science
in Relation to Medicine
Faculty of Health
University of Newcastle

Telephone: 61 2 49246247
Fax: 61 2 49246 209
Email: [log in to unmask]
www.hcha.org.au

Incoming E-mail may be viewed by my secretary.  If content is of
sensitive nature, please indicate so in subject as 'Private &
Confidential'

This message is intended for the addressee named
and may contain confidential information.

If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender, and are not necessarily the
views of Hunter Health.

To unsubscribe send one line: unsubscribe click4hp to: [log in to unmask] .
To view archives or modify subscription see:
http://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/click4hp.html