Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2008 12:38:47 -0300
From:
Tessah Woodman <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Hello,

A small group of us at the Nova Scotia Department of Health Promotion and Protection are trying to come up with a workplace policy regarding compensating volunteers from the community for their participation in focus groups, photo shoots (for use in printed materials), and committee work. We would like for this policy to be based on best or current practice in other areas in order to ensure fairness. Some of the issues we are looking at include the appropriateness of paying volunteers for their time, determining the appropriate amount of compensation for different activities and populations, and the effect of advertising compensation as an incentive for participation.  I would be interested in any literature you might know of, especially from the area of community development, which addresses these issues. Alternatively, if you have any policies or guidelines you follow with your own health promotion work with the community, I would love to hear about them.

Please contact me at [log in to unmask] if you have any comments or suggestions.
Thank you!
Tessah

Tessah Woodman
Health Educator
Department of Health Promotion and Protection
5th floor Summit Place
1601 Lower Water Street
Halifax, NS  B3J 3P6
PO Box 487  B3J 2R7
Phone: (902) 424-3014 / 424-3135 (fax) / 220-5486 (cell)