From:
Michel O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:23:58 -0500
*** Hi.

The expression has been attributed to Trevor Hancock, in link with
the work of Nancy Milio, in the wake of work done in the early 1980's
that would lead to the Ottawa Charter, a target of which is to
"Coordinate healthy public policies." The second WHO international
confrence on Health promotion was held in Adelaide in 1988,
Australia, and was specifically on HPP. Healthy public policies can
be done both in the govermental (at international, national, regional
and local levels- hence the healthy cities movement which is HPP at
the local level as Jean-Marc reminded us) and in the non
gorvernmental sector. A couple of general papers I wrote with
colleagues that might help; they provide most of the key references
to this literature:

KICKBUSCH, Ilona; DRAPER, Ron; O'NEILL, Michel; "Healthy Public
Policy: a strategy to implement the Health for All philosophy at
various governmental levels"; in Evers, Adalbert; Farrant, Wendy and
Trojan, Alf (eds.), Healthy Public Policy at the Local Level,
New-York and Frankfurt, Campus-Westview, 1990, pp.1-6.

O'NEILL, Michel; "Healthy Public Policy: the WHO perspective", Health
Promotion, 28(3):6-8,24,1990.

O'Neill, Michel et Pederson, Ann; "Building a Methods Bridge Between
Public Policy Analysis and Healthy Public Policy"; Canadian Journal
of Public Health, 83(S1):S25-S30,1992.

Salutations. M.O. ***

--

Une tres bonne journee !

Michel O'Neill, Ph.D.

Professeur titulaire et Codirecteur, Groupe de recherche et d'intervention
en promotion de la sante (GRIPSUL), Faculte des Sciences infirmieres;
Codirecteur, Centre quebecois collaborateur de l'OMS pour le developpement
de villes et villages en sante / Quebec WHO Collaborating Center for the
development of healthy cities and towns;
4108-J Pavillon Comtois, Universite Laval, Quebec, Qc, Canada, G1K 7P4.
tel: +1-(418)-656-2131 #7431; telecopieur: +1-(418)-656-7747
Courrier electronique: [log in to unmask]