From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:45:58 -0400
Just like in Richard Wilkinson's "Unhealthy societies: The afflictions of
inequality."

Now if reporters could begin to analyze why this might be the case!

Violent crime up 7.5% in Greater Toronto
Young people have highest rate, Statscan says
       Elaine Carey
            DEMOGRAPHICS REPORTER
  Greater Toronto's violent crime rate has risen dramatically for the first time
in seven years and a leading criminologist
  blames the Harris government.

  ``It seems to me inevitable that we would have an increase in violence because
it seems we have policies designed that
  way,'' said Anthony Doob, a criminology professor at the University of
Toronto.

  Violent crime in Toronto rose by 7.5 per cent last year to a rate of 868
incidents per 100,000 population, Statistics
  Canada said in its annual report on crime yesterday. But property crimes,
including theft, break and enter and fraud, fell
  by 6.8 per cent.

  This lead to a 2.1 per cent decline in the over-all crime rate, leaving
Toronto with the fourth lowest rate of all
  metropolitan areas, after Chicoutimi-Jonqui

ère, Quebec city and Trois-Rivières. Regina had the highest rate, followed   by Saskatoon.   Young people aged 15 to 24 have the highest crime rate of any age group. Across Canada, violent youth offences rose   by 7 per cent after falling for eight years. They included an 18 per cent rise in sexual assaults, a 7 per cent increase in   assaults and a 2 per cent rise in robberies.   Doob said cuts to welfare and other social programs means problem kids get less help, which has an affect on violent   crime.   ``What we know about crime is that all these things, particularly for kids who are at risk, are things which in the past   have helped reduce crime and now they're no longer there,'' he said. ``Why should we be surprised?''   The increases are consistent with numbers gathered by Toronto police.   ``Over-all crime took a little bit of a dive, but the concern for us, obviously, is that violent crime is up,'' Staff Inspector   Bruce Smollet said yesterday.   ``Especially in an area . . . like youth crime. It's a very big concern. Obviously, we're very glad that crime over-all is   down slightly, but most policemen are going to tell you that any crime is too many,'' he said.   Doob said Ontario's response to kids who get in trouble at schools is all wrong. ``You kick them out, you punish them,   rather than trying to make the kids' experience in school more positive so they don't act out,'' he said.   ``Schools are being told `get rid of the kid, make that kid somebody else's problem, have the kid charged,' '' he said.   ``The question is do you try to keep them in the one institution where you have an opportunity to do something positive   or do you say `get out of here.' Well, we have a tendency now to say `get out of here.' ''   Teachers have less time to work with individual students who are beginning to have problems or to spend on things like   extracurricular activities that kids enjoy, he said.   ``All of these things make school a less positive experience for kids and we know that's going to relate to the amount of   crime the kids who are at risk are doing,'' he said. ``It's not mysterious.''   With files from Jennifer Quinn                          News |Greater Toronto|Business|Sports|Entertainment|Life|Weekly Sections   Legal Notice:- Copyright 1996-2001. Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. All rights reserved. Distribution, transmission or republication of any material from   www.thestar.com is strictly prohibited without the prior written permission of Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. For information please contact us or send email   to [log in to unmask]