From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 18:52:40 -0500
nutrition is important and physical activity is important, BUT these activities
are heavily structured and shaped by one's life situation.  The sole reliance on
lifestyle messages has led to a virtual blind spot among policy makers and the
public regarding the social determinants of health.  One of 601 Hamilton
residents identified poverty as a cause of heart disease.  Each was given seven
opportunities to name a factor!

When this message is so pervasive, then public health has not only moved from
ignoring these broader issues but is serving to help suppress them.
Nutritionists recognize that food is heavily imbued with social meaning.  To
outline diet as the end all and be all (again not by commission but by omission)
for maintaining one's health, is not consistent with the evidence and furthera a
regressive political agenda.

dr

Bronwen Williams <[log in to unmask]>@YorkU.CA> on 02/04/2002 03:16:48
PM

Please respond to Health Promotion on the Internet <[log in to unmask]>

  Sent         Health Promotion on the Internet
  by:          <[log in to unmask]>