From:
kerry robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:40:29 -0500
Hi Donna,

This link to the Public Health Research, Education and Development Program
contains summaries & full reviews for systematic reviews of the literature.
There are a couple relevant to your request- one on the effectiveness of
coalitions for heart health promotion, the other on the effectiveness of
community-based heart health projects.  The evidence is not as strong as we
would like it to be and there tends to be variation in effectiveness of
results, but there are documented positive outcomes from community heart
health promotion.  http://www.city.hamilton.on.ca/sphs/EPHPP/ephppSumRev.htm

Here are a couple of references to other articles that review the outcomes
of community heart health promotion initiatives:

Sellers, D., Crawford, S., Bullock, K. and J. McKinlay. 1997. Understanding
the Variability in the Effectiveness of Community Heart Health Programs: A
Meta-Analysis. Social Science Medicine. 44(9):1325-1339.

Mittelmark, Maurice B., M.K. Hunt, G.W. Heath and T.L. Schmid. 1993.
Realistic Outcomes: Lessons from Community-Based Research and Demonstration
Programs for the Prevention of Cardiovascular Diseases. Journal of Public
Health Policy. Winter: 437-458.

 Ebrahim, S. and D. Smith. 2001. Multiple Risk Factor Interventions for
Primary Prevention of Coronary Heart Disease (Cochrane Review). Cochrane
Library.  Issue 4. Oxford.

Cheers,

Kerry