From:
Nancy Dubois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:50:18 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: USCPRC USCPRC
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 8:22 AM
Subject: Pro Walk/Pro Bike 2004 Call For Presentations

Pro Walk/Pro Bike 2004
CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS

Victoria, British Columbia, is the site of the next Pro Walk/Pro Bike
Conference, Sept. 7-10, 2004

The National Center for Bicycling & Walking (NCBW) is now soliciting
presentation proposals for Pro Walk/Pro Bike 2004, the 13th
International Symposium on Bicycling and Walking to be held September
7-10, 2004, in Victoria, British Columbia.

The theme of Pro Walk/Pro Bike 2004 is "Creating Active Communities"
through bicycling and walking. The goal is to give participants the
tools to make it happen.

Over the past several years, we have seen a growing concern over the
alarming rise of obesity and related diseases, due in part to
inactivity. This long-term trend -- begun decades ago -- has
paralleled a decline in walking and bicycling, a shift that has also
accompanied the rise of the automobile as the default mode of
transportation. Many observers now understand the importance of
reversing these trends by fostering pedestrian and bicycle travel. We
believe these efforts will pay dividends in public health and
community life. Hence, our theme -- Creating Active Communities.

Under our Active Communities theme, there are many possibilities for
contributions from a wide variety of participants. To this end, we
have created a set of 5 major sub-themes:

1. Creating active community partnerships
2. Crafting active community policies and plans
3. Developing active community programs
4. Building facilities for active communities
5. Creating the provincial/state/national context

Within these sub-themes, we will accept proposals to do sessions on a
range of topics, most of which will fall into the following
categories:

* Best practices
* Common roadblocks and urban myths
* "How-to's"
* Case studies
* Research/evaluation

Applicants may also choose among a variety of presentation
approaches, including panel discussions, lectures - both long and
short - and participatory workshops.

Those interested in submitting a proposal should use our online
presentation proposal form at:
http://www.bikewalk.org/PWPB2004/proposal_form.htm

Submissions will be reviewed by a panel of experts, and successful
applicants will be notified by April 1, 2004. Presenters will then
have until June 1st to submit final presentation information in order
to have their submissions included in the Conference book and on the
conference web site program listing.

For more information concerning Pro Walk/Pro Bike 2004 presentations,
contact John Williams, Pro Walk/Pro Bike 2004 Program Coordinator;
phone: (406) 543-8113; email: [log in to unmask]

--
John Williams, editor
NCBW Forum & CenterLines