Sender:
From:
"Long, Phoebe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2011 16:26:56 -0700
We would like to thank you for your question, and take this opportunity to provide a bit more context on the data considered in this project, which is also explained in more depth in the 2nd edition of Expecting to Quit.

There is a wide range in statistics reported on the percentage of women who smoke during pregnancy, both in Canada and elsewhere.  Because they are often based on self-reported information and use different survey methodologies and sampling, estimates vary widely and may significantly underestimate the actual proportion of women who smoke while pregnant.  The range we listed in our previous email was based on data compiled from individual studies.  Data from the Canadian Community Health Survey show that in 2005, 13.4 percent of women who had given birth in the previous five years reported smoking during pregnancy, while other individual studies show that upwards of 30 percent of pregnant women report smoking.  Thus, we could correct the previously cited range to say that in industrialized nations, approximately 13 to 27 percent of women use tobacco during pregnancy.  We also know that smoking during pregnancy may be even higher than 30 percent among some subgroups of women in Canada (e.g., young women, Aboriginal women, women who use alcohol during pregnancy, and women who have experienced trauma).

Please join us for the webcast on October 25th to hear some of the highlights of our findings, and to learn more about how to use the information and resources available on our website.

Regards,
Phoebe (on behalf of the Expecting to Quit team)

Phoebe M. Long, MPH
Research Coordinator
British Columbia Centre of Excellence for Women's Health
Tel:  604-875-2424 ext. 5351