From:
jim frankish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:02:20 -0700
Tories are Bad for Our Health

Canadians are becoming too selfish for our own good.   Our provinces won't
share their wealth.  Increasingly, it is us against ourselves.  Whatever
happened to being part of the Canadian 'family'.

"Right"-minded people should shake their heads realize that the Conservative
policies will be the least good for our health.  Such policies may slightly
raise the health of average Canadians.  History shows they will do far more
to raise the health of the already wealthy.   They will not reduce
inequities or improve the health of our poorest Canadians.  The World Health
Organization recently concluded that the most important thing a government
can do is to "tackle the inequitable distribution of power, money, and
resources".  Yet no parties are talking about what really determines the
health of Canadians.

We should listen to Monique Begin (WHO Commissioner and twice, national
Minister of Health).  We like to brag that the UN votes us "the best country
in the world".  The truth is that our wealthy manage "to mask the reality of
food banks, of homeless, and abysmal conditions for too many First Nations
and Inuit children."

If we want to be healthy as people (and as a country), we should mimic the
healthiest countries - the Scandinavians.  The first and last question for
all political candidates should be, "What are you doing to reduce
inequalities?" so that Canada can truly live up to its reputation as one of
the best places on the globe.

Dr. Jim Frankish

Chair, Impact on Communities Coalition (2010)

Professor & Director, Centre for Population Health Promotion Research

University of British Columbia

Room 425, Library Processing Centre 2206 East Mall Vancouver BC V6T 1Z3

Office: 604-822-9205, Fax: 822-9210, Cell: 778-987-9205,