From:
Patricia Paton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:21:45 -0600
Andrea, you may want to check into children's developmental screening
programs.  While they are often focused on activities for parents to do
with children that are intended to improve fine or gross motor skills,
or specific physical tasks, that have been identified in screenings as a
delay in the child's development, they would none the less be a increase
in physical activity.   For example, if a child was found to be mildly
delayed in gross motor skills, therapists might recommend home based
activities that would work on that specific skill set for improvement.
They might also look around for community supports, in some cases for
example recommending a nearby playground as a place to go if home space
is limited.

That may not meet your needs, but it is an area where physical activity
is the focus, and in mild and mild/moderate areas, parents are often
encouraged to undertake activities with the child rather than depend on
formal therapy (may not be needed, and may not be easily accessible).

Trish
Trish Paton
Community Development Coordinator
(403) 502-8206