From:
Rebecca Zappelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2013 13:04:54 -0800
Hi Poala,

Sexual health promotion is a tricky one when it comes to healthy settings
approach because of the stigma associated with sex and sexual health, as a
result these programs (from my experience) tend to shy away from
exclusively delivering sexual health promotion initiatives and instead
integrate it with other facets of health.

Some of the best programs internationally that employ a 'health settings
approach' tend to focus on youth and within school settings. In the UK
some interesting work was being undertaken in relation to the C-CARD
schemes (http://c-card.areyougettingit.com/Default.aspx) which employ
aspects of a health settings approach (to varying degrees of success...and
evaluation) at a service delivery level. Additionally, there is some
interesting work that integrates sexual health (although primarily focused
on mental health) through the headspace programs in Australia
(http://www.headspace.org.au/) again, at a service delivery level. The
latter isn't often described as employing a health settings approach but
does apply aspects of it in its program structure and delivery.

Health promoting schools programs are often a good place to look and there
have been some interesting programs too that are being undertaken by NGOs
in low income countries too that focus on 'health settings approaches' to
sexual health - often with a primary focus on HIV/AIDs prevention/harm
minimisation. There has also been some great work that has come out of the
substance use field too in relation to this too but am a little of of the
loop there...

Will keep looking for you but hopefully this offers some good places to
start?

Rebecca Zappelli BSc (Health Promotion)
Health Promotion and Policy Consultant
Global Partnership Lead, Bridge 4 Health

www.bridgeforhealth.org