From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 11:22:03 -0400
>Subject: NOW with Bill Moyers (5/17/02)
>Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 16:43:11 -0400
><[log in to unmask]>"@webmail.thirteen.org
>
>NOW WITH BILL MOYERS on PBS on Friday, May 17 at 9:00 p.m. (check local
>listings)
>
>This week, NOW explores the great divide between the rich and poor.  The
>United States is now the most unequal society of all industrialized
>nations.  The very rich are getting richer while wages, benefits, and
>working conditions for workers at the bottom continue to be downsized.
>
>NOW's Bryan Myers and NPR reporter Emily Harris take us to Connecticut,
>where the gap between rich and poor is growing faster than in any other
>state in the country.  Janice Gruendel of Connecticut Voices for Children,
>an advocacy organization for working families, explains the growing
>tension: "When people look at their lives and don't see the potential for
>change, I think it does breed cynicism-when you have a growing gap of
>folks who don't believe there is any hope for them-that leads to all kinds
>of challenges to democracy and the way we think about opportunities in
>America."
>
>Bill Moyers interviews Kevin Phillips, author of Wealth and Democracy,
>about the political and economic history of American wealth.  Phillips
>says, "When money...really takes over on both sides, then money not only
>talks, money screams."  Discussing the challenges to democracy when money
>and government become intertwined, Phillips notes, "You can't have two
>parties that represent different flavors of great wealth and expect not to
>see all these weaknesses continue to grow."
>
>Then, NOW takes a look at class division in an excerpt from the film
>"People Like Us," in which filmmakers Louis Alvarez and Andrew Kolker
>examine how income defines the life and lifestyle of people across America.
>
>In most of the industrialized West, health care is a human right.  Here in
>the United States, it is a function of the market, and that market makes
>it too expensive for nearly 40 million Americans to afford coverage.  NOW
>producer William Brangham and NPR's Julie Rovner travel to Maine where a
>new debate is stirring that could be a sign of things to come.  Nurse Jay
>Houghton says of the impending crisis, "Nobody is happy where the
>situation is. Nobody is happy. I don't think the insurance companies are
>happy with the situation. Certainly, the patients aren't, certainly the
>doctors aren't.  The hospitals are in dire straits."
>
>NOW WITH BILL MOYERS continues online at PBS.org (www.pbs.org/now).  Log
>on to the site to learn more about health care proposals, see an
>international comparison of income disparity, join the ongoing discussion
>about the critical issues covered in NOW, and more.
>
>To subscribe or unsubscribe from the weekly Public Affairs Television
>newsletter, visit www.pbs.org/now/newsletter.html.

We welcome posting on social justice & public health that provide:
a) information (e.g. about conferences or job announcements or
publications relevant to social justice & public health), and
b) substantive queries or comments directly addressing issues
relevant to social justice and public health.

Please do NOT post petitions on the bulletin board, as they clog up
the works; instead, if you have a petition you want to circulate,
please post a notice about the petition and provide your email
address so people can email you to get a copy of the petition. Also,
to limit e-mail volume, please do not send posts directed toward a
single individual to the list at large. Instead of hitting 'reply',
cut and paste the person's address into the 'to' field, and send your
message directly to the her/him.

Community email addresses:
  Post message: [log in to unmask]
  Subscribe:    [log in to unmask]
  Unsubscribe:  [log in to unmask]
  List owner:   [log in to unmask]
  Web page:     www.progressivehn.org

To subscribe or un-subscribe send an e-mail to the address
specified above with the word "subscribe" or "unsubscribe"
in the subject line.