From:
Patsy Beattie-Huggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 20:33:53 -0300
Hi Lorna,

Great to  hear from you. My experience is that stories help to
illustrate the scope of the Circle of Health, so I'm glad you asked the
question.  In 1998, we were interested in how the Circle of Health was
being used and held a Virtual Conference called Sharing the Circle:
Telling the Story.  We had 254 international registrants and featured 29
stories which are available in the conference report.

The Circle of Health has been used successfully as a planning tool in
PEI and other areas of  Canada. Most recently at a conference in Saint
John, NB a public health nurse shared her story of how she and her
colleagues used the Circle of Health to plan a program to address the
issue of head lice.  In the past, head lice would have been viewed as
the problem of the child and the family. The child would be isolated and
treated, as would the family.  Using the Circle of Health, the problem
was redefined as a problem which impacted many elements of health -
physical, mental, and emotional and involved not only the individual and
family but the school in a community response with intersectoral action
on many of the determinants of health.

I have used the Circle of Health to guide the redesign of health
services, facilitate workplace wellness planning, and know of colleagues
who have used it as a framework for designing a family violence
prevention program. It is used as a curriculum resource at a number of
universities for nursing, social work, and health education programs to
name a few.  It is also being used directly with clients as a coaching
tool in a number of settings, e.g a school based support program for
teen parents, in addiction rehab program, etc.  It has been used as a
research framework in PEI for research on seniors health and heart
health.

There are a lot of people on PEI who are unaware of the reach of the
Circle of Health and the fact that it has been translated into French
and Spanish; and is in use in Aboriginal communities; in Latin America;
and in at least one project in Africa. So I'm glad you asked the
question, because it gives me the opportunity to share some information
about something I feel very passionate about, a tool which I feel has
the potential to engage people in creating compassionate and healthy
communities.

Patsy Beattie-Huggan
The Quaich Inc.
Phone: 902-894-3399 Fax: 902-626-3221