From:
Erin Ottosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:50:06 -0600
NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

OUR NEWLY REDESIGNED RESEARCH UPDATE IS NOW AVAILABLE!

"SITTING LESS: AN IMPORTANT INGREDIENT IN OUR RECIPE FOR HEALTH"
Neville Owen and Geneviève Healy, University of Queensland, Australia

This article examines research from Australia that suggests we may be
sitting our way to poor health. The research shows that prolonged sitting
time is a significant health risk independent of too little exercise.

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/publications/research-update/2009/apr-sit-
less.pdf

"OSTEOPOROSIS: IMPROVING SCREENING AND MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES"
Shanthi Johnson, Saskatchewan Population Health and Evaluation Research Unit
(SPHERU)

This article highlights an upcoming SPHERU study in which researchers will
focus on the bone health of populations in rural and urban areas. The aim:
to improve the diagnosis, management and prevention of osteoporosis, which
is both preventable and treatable.

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/publications/research-update/2009/apr-oste
oporosis.pdf

ABOUT OUR NEW RESEARCH UPDATE DESIGN

We’re proud to present this first issue of our newly redesigned, revamped
Research Update.

Research Update, one of our flagship publications, still summarizes recent
research in physical activity and health promotion in a brief,
easy-to-understand format. But this new version is leaner and cleaner,
easier to read on-screen and more appealing to the eye, we hope.

New features include the Summary section, where you’ll get the gist of the
entire article in one or two sentences, and the Key Terms section, where
you’ll find definitions of important terminology.

We’ve also made an effort to better showcase not just research but the
researchers themselves. Research Update now includes bios and pictures of
the authors.

We hope this redesign improves your reading experience. If you have
feedback, please let us know!

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/publications/research-update/2009/apr-issu
e.pdf

JUNE 16 WORKSHOP ON IMPLEMENTING PHYSICAL ACTIVITY IN YOUTH PROGRAMS

On June 16 in Edmonton, APPLE Schools research coordinator Ceara Cunningham
will deliver a presentation on the successes and challenges of implementing
physical activity in youth programs.

This presentation comes out of Ceara's MA thesis work at the University of
Alberta Child and Adolescent Sport and Activity Lab (CASA).

The Alberta Centre for Active Living is pleased to co-host this event. To
find out more, please visit our Events webpage.

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/news/events.html

VISIT OUR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY INFORMATION ROUND-UP

Every week the Centre rounds up recent research, resources, and stories in
the media about physical activity. Visit the Round-Up to keep up to date.

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/library/roundup/index.html

ABOUT THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

The Alberta Centre for Active Living is affiliated with the University of
Alberta Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation and is supported by the
Alberta Sport, Recreation, Parks & Wildlife Foundation and the Government of
Alberta.

http://www.centre4activeliving.ca