From:
Stephanie Lefebvre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2012 11:36:12 -0400
10 Promising Practices to reduce social inequities in health: What does the evidence tell us?<http://www.sdhu.com/content/healthy_living/doc.asp?folder=22203&parent=3225&lang=0&doc=13088>

Dear colleagues,

As part of a 2009 Canadian Health Services Research Foundation Fellowship (Executive Training in Research Application – EXTRA), the Sudbury & District Health Unit conducted a review and analysis of the literature for practices to reduce social inequities in health. We are pleased to announce the development of a series of related fact sheets<http://www.sdhu.com/content/healthy_living/doc.asp?folder=22203&parent=3225&lang=0&doc=13088>.  They illustrate each of the 10 practices, relevant at the local public health level, found to be “promising” in their potential to “level-up” and reduce health inequities:

1.     Targeting with universalism

2.     Purposeful reporting

3.     Social Marketing

4.     Health equity target setting

5.     Equity-focused health impact assessment

6.     Competencies/organizational standards

7.     Contribution to the evidence base

8.     Early childhood development

9.     Community engagement

10.  Intersectoral action

The fact sheets are designed to help public health practitioners and our community partners apply each of the 10 Promising Practices to reduce social inequities in health.  They have a common format that identifies essential components, key issues, and tools and resources for each Promising Practice. Each fact sheet includes a case example drawn from the work of local public health. You may access the fact sheets on our web site at http://www.sdhu.com/content/healthy_living/doc.asp?folder=22203&parent=3225&lang=0&doc=13088.

The complete series of fact sheets will be available in French shortly. Look for them on our website at http://www.sdhu.com/content/healthy_living/doc.asp?folder=3225&parent=3225&lang=1&doc=11759

We encourage you to share these resources with your networks. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have comments or questions about the fact sheets or the 10 Promising Practices to reduce social inequities in health.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Lefebvre | Manager, Health Equity
Sudbury & District Health Unit | 1300 Paris Street, Sudbury, ON P3E 3A3
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> tel: 705.522.9200, ext. 277|  fax: 705.677.9609 | www.sdhu.com<http://www.sdhu.com/>

This e-mail is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  Any review, dissemination, copying, printing or other use of this e-mail by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.

Ce message n'est destiné qu'à la personne ou l'organisme auquel il est adressé, et pourrait contenir de l'information confidentielle et/ou privilégiée.  La modification, distribution, reproduction, photocopie, impression ou tout usage de ce message par des personnes ou des organismes autres que les destinataires est strictement interdit. Si vous avez reçu ce courriel par erreur, veuillez communiquer immédiatement avec l'expéditeur et supprimer le message de votre ordinateur.