Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2023 17:45:39 +0000
From:
Robert STEWART <[log in to unmask]>
 My comments are based on my own life, and on having read, while correcting OCR, a few hundred thousand lines of type in California newspapers of 1859-1865. Twain had good reason to be afraid of Indians when he first came West. The California papers were regularly reporting killings and other "difficulties," in Oregon, Nevada Territory, California and Arizona-New Mexico. But in fairness, I also read of the indigenous folks providing firewood, hands to wring out washing, yardwork and menial tasks. Then Twain came East, where the public opinion was different. Consider what happened across the nation during the Civil War which was occurring during Twain's time in the West. Clemens himself made a shift, shown in his letters. He arrived in a territory that was heavily loaded with pro-Confederate refugees (especially lawyers) from California. (How they were treated after Gov. Nye and the Military showed up is a story in itself.) Shortly after fighting began back east a Sam Clemens letter refers to the Union army as "they." But Sam is among strongly pro-Union men, He hikes to Lake Tahoe with a former member of the Ohio "foot soldiers" who the next year became a captain in the Ohio Cavalry. Letters from Sam C. now refer to Union military as "we," "our." Now consider the post-war periods, not just of the Civil War, but most wars. Enemies are demonized and vilified during the conflict to motivate support. And then think of the change of attitude in the postwar periods. Twain was just another member of the populace.