From:
Matthew Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2022 08:31:49 -0400
Great question, Scott. I am also unaware of Twain specifically commenting
on the Pullman strike, and I think Taylor's reasoning is credible. However,
if you are interested in Twain's evolving, complex, and contradictory
thinking about labor organizing, you should definitely check out "The New
Dynasty," his effusive endorsement of the Knights of Labor from 1886.

Alas, I was digging into related questions for a recent podcast episode
(link below) and discovered that Twain's speech happened almost exactly
simultaneously with the C19 peak of union membership. The Knights (and
other C19 unions) enter a decline phase almost immediately thereafter and
don't fully rebound until the 1930s (after which we enter the famous peak
in US union density, running from roughly 1935-1970).

Podcast Link: MarkTwainStudies.com/GreatResignation

*Matt Seybold, PhD*
Associate Professor of American Literature & Mark Twain Studies
Scholar-in-Residence, Center for Mark Twain Studies
Editor, MarkTwainStudies.org
Host, The American Vandal Podcast
<https://marktwainstudies.com/the-american-vandal-podcast/>

Peterson Chapel Vestry, Cowles Hall