Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2022 18:00:37 +0000
Some time back I was reading, I think on the Internet, and shared with my wife who also remembers it, a quote from Emma North Messer about Twain which is not in Emma's 1924 memoir. She was writing of her 1860s Carson City teacher, Hannah Keziah Clapp, and wrote that she believed Sam Clemens visited Miss Clapp's home for tutoring in grammar. But now I cannot locate that quote. In her 1924 Out West mag memoir Emma mentions Twain visiting Hannah's classrooms to hear students' recitations, but the grammar quote is not in that memoir. Is it familiar to anyone?