Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2023 19:48:30 +0000
Sounds like it was a Good Thing she couldn't attend those MTA meetings.
From the minutes I've read they were cordial informal meetings, but no
kissing.

For those not familiar with the history of the MT Association and its
place in the origin of the MT Research Foundation and relationship with
the Twainian, here's a short timeline:

Brownell published the Twainian starting in January 1939 for the Mark
Twain Society of Chicago.

Brownell and Ade had kicked around the idea of forming a national group
as early as 1936 and in June 1941 they and others met at Ade's home and
founded the MT Association. Brownell published the last Twainian for the
MT Soc in June 1941 (III:1), and began a New Series (I:1) in January
1942 for the MTA. He also published minutes of the MTA annual meetings,
all mimeographed like the Twainian.

In January 1947 Brownell filed articles of incorporation for the
non-profit MT Research Foundation and issued 12 mimeographed bulletins
to keep members informed of progress. The Twainian also contained
updates during this period. In the late 1940s, membership hovered at
less than 100 subscribers, typically about 60 individual members and two
dozen libraries. Brownell died in 1950, a few years after Ade, and I'll
skip the subsequent history of the MT Research Foundation. The Twainian
continued publication until the end of 2010 (66:4), published by the MT
Birthplace Shrine in Florida, Missouri.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books