From:
MARK DAWIDZIAK <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MARK DAWIDZIAK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2018 18:39:46 +0000
So sorry to hear this. I first talked to Larry in the late 1980s for a newspaper story on a crisis of funding at the Mark Twain Papers in Berkeley. He spoke passionately and eloquently about the importance and necessity of the work being done by Bob Hirst and the team of editors at the Bancroft. His insights were crucial to the story. It was the first of many wonderful talks over the next 30 years. After the 2013 State of Mark Twain Studies conference, I stayed as late as I could that sunny Sunday morning, lingering, not wanting to leave. You know the feeling. The last person I talked to in the (at that point) near-deserted Meir Hall was Larry. When I said "see you in four years," Larry smiled wistfully and said, "Probably not. I think this is my last conference." I said that couldn't possibly be true. Larry said, "Mark, I'm 83. Who knows about four years from now?" I was stunned. Larry's enthusiasm and energy had worked their magic, and I thought of him as much younger. But then he added, with unmistakable earnestness, "But you've got to do everything you can to make it in four years and every four years. And you've got to do everything you can to keep this going. You're part of this. Everyone here contributes so much to the scholarship and spirit of what makes this so special. Don't let them lose that." It was a one-on-one conversation in a quite corner of Meir Hall, but I like to think Larry was talking to all of us. I have a lot of wonderful memories of Larry, but that's my favorite one and I can't think of a more appropriate moment to share it. It never will be Larry's last conference as long as we honor that wish and keep the scholarship and spirit alive.

    On Sunday, May 20, 2018 11:45 AM, Shelley Fisher Fishkin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 Very sad to hear this news.
Shelley