From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2018 13:24:59 +0000
Regarding MT & his so-called " life-long dislike of
imperialism":  not so much. His eyes were opened pretty late on that issue, I think.

Twain changed his tune pretty significantly about the Phillippines, for instance, during the debacle there in the 1890s.  I am among those who have written about Twain's view of imperialism and his radical change of view, but post-Jim Zwick, I would especially mention Sue Harris's excellent book on the topic.  The Anti-Imperialist League wasn't even founded until 1898.

-hb

Dr. Hal Bush

Dept. of English

Saint Louis University