From:
"Ardiles, Paola" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2012 10:19:24 -0700
FYI. Apologies for cross postings.

________________________________
From: Graham, Sylvia [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:42 AM
Subject: The SDOH Working Group - Needs Your Help! Please complete our survey!

Please distribute broadly...

The Social Determinants of Health Working Group
NEEDS YOUR HELP!

Who we are:  We are the Social Determinants of Health Working Group<http://www.child-youth-health.net/en/child-youth-health/Social_Determinants_of_Health_p862.html>, a working group of the Child and Youth Health Network for Eastern Ontario<http://www.child-youth-health.net/en/child-youth-health/Welcome_p212.html> (CHYNEO).  We are a group of committed professionals and volunteers who work with children, youth and their families in regions across Eastern Ontario.

Our purpose:  Sparked by research (including "A New Way to Talk about the Social Determinants of Health"<http://www.rwjf.org/files/research/vpmessageguide20101029.pdf> out of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation), discussions and our own experiences, we know that the way we talk about the social determinants of health (SDOH) does not always resonate with people.  Too often we're "preaching to the converted" or missing our mark entirely!  For these reasons, we need to re-think how we've been communicating, and develop a new approach to taking about the social determinants of health.

Through information sharing, education and advocacy,
our Working Group aims to find new ways of communicating the SDOH
and their impact on children, youth and families in our communities.

What we mean by "communicating the SDOH":  Health starts long before we get sick.  It starts where we live, learn, work and play.  These factors impact the health and overall wellbeing of children, youth and families.  Many of us communicate these factors, either formally or informally, to our friends, colleagues, students and clients or to our community as part of more coordinated approach, like an 'awareness campaign'.

Our Working Group is conducting an informal, environmental scan to get a better sense of what's already being done, what's working well and what we can learn from.

What we'd like YOU to do:

If your work or interest involves communicating factors which influence family, child or youth health (in any capacity, anywhere in the country, or even the world) we'd like to hear from you!

 *   Please complete our survey by clicking here<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XV25HLK> or by following this link:  http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XV25HLK

 *   There are 5 questions and it will only take a few moments of your time.

 *   If you'd like to know the results of our survey, let us know and we'd be happy to share them with you!

and finally,

 *   Please distribute this survey to others in your network.

For more information, please contact Sylvia Graham at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Sylvia Graham
Project Coordinator, Partnerships and Advocacy
Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) | Child & Youth Health Network for Eastern Ontario (CYHNEO)
401 Smyth Road, Ottawa ON K1H 8L1
Tel: (613) 737-7600 Ext. 3461  |  Fax: (613) 738-4866  |  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

www.cheo.on.ca<http://www.cheo.on.ca/>  |  www.child-youth-health.net<http://www.child-youth-health.net/>

This message, including any attachments, may contain confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message.