From:
"John R. Pascal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2018 08:11:39 -0400
Dr. Bush,
I’m afraid you’re going to have to take my word on it.
You see, for the first third of the game, your shots were red-hot.
Then various Twainian dignitaries came to offer their greetings to you and you kept turning away from the table for just a few moments to warmly receive them in return.
Unfortunately I did not know them personally, so I was brought up to just smile and nod.
That I did.
As a result, they noticed I was politely waiting which prompted you to turn back to the field of green to say, “Oh, is it my shot?”
“Yes sir, it is.”
It was growing increasingly obvious that your ensuing pool shots lacked the experienced finesse that so captured the tsunami of your earlier effortless movements of the cue.
In other words, it was correspondingly obvious to even my D+ students that you went from red-hot to white-cold within about seventeen minutes because the different topics broached by these friends were found by you to be quite fascinating.
Consequently, I made the final shot, and I said,” Did I just win?!”
“You certainly did” was your friendly reply and you laid down your cue like a gentleman, picked up your glass, and continued the group conversation.
I could not shake the feeling that you were going easy on me; that was very kind of you.

Sent from my iPhone