Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 16:33:37 -0400
At 05:14 PM 6/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I am looking for  some other listservs in the following areas:
>

>* mental health consumer survivors

Hi Shawn,

I am aware of a number of mailing lists that deal with mental health
issues.  Perhaps the oldest, most established one for consumer/survivors is
the MADNESS mailing list.  The easiest way to link up to it is by visiting
its website at

http://www.icomm.ca/madness/

Or you can send an email message to

with the message

subscribe madness firstname lastname

The web page also lists a *lot* of **great** internet resources for "People
Who" (that's MADNESS' term for consumer/survivors, as in people who
experience...visions, mood swings, etc.).  One group that they list is the
Support Coalition, which hosts two relevant mailing lists, Healnorm (Heal
Normality!) and Dendrite.  The organization's web site is at

http://www.efn.org/~dendron

(Both MADNESS and Healnorm are pretty high traffic lists.  You might
consider getting the digest versions.)

There is a list called MENTAL-HEALTH-WORKER as well.  It is run off the
same listserver as madness, so to subscribe you can follow the instructions
for subscribing to MADNESS but substitute the name of this list.

There was also a list I heard about called TWO-HATS for people who are
consumer/survivors and also working in mental health.  If you are
interested in that, email me and I can track down the reference.  Last I
heard, it was a pretty quiet list.

I have been subscribed to a one-way mailing list called PsychNews
International since April 97.  Here is part of its description:

>PNI is an electronic publication distributed on a
>monthly basis for professionals, students, and other parties
>interested in the area of mental health. PNI contains articles
>on current events in mental health, updates from relevant
>Internet discussion groups, as well as original research
>and theoretical articles. PNI also contains new mental health
>resources on the Internet and conference, employment, and
>announcement listings.

Well, it's June, and I haven't gotten anything from them yet.:-)

If any of this isn't clear, or if you are looking for other mental health
resources on the net, email me and I'd be happy to help you out if I can.
I work as a community mental health consultant here in Toronto and have
spent a fair bit of time tracking down mental health resources online.  In
particular, I have a pretty good list of mental health bookmarks, including
consumer/survivors' sites - but you can find many of them as links from the
MADNESS home page.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Community Resources Consultants of Toronto
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]