From:
Donna Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2008 07:35:23 -0600
The School of Public Health at the University of Alberta is pleased to
announce a new issue of our newsletter, Healthe-news.

In this issue...

Canada must pay the true cost of safe drinking water

What will it take? If the drinking-water disaster at Walkerton, Ont.,
which killed seven people and made 2,000 others ill in May of 2000, was
not enough to convince Canadians that we need to invest in assuring the
safety of our drinking water, what will?

An APPLE a day keeps kids healthier

Knowing that the first step towards the expansion of a healthy mind is
the maintenance of a healthy body, researchers at the University of
Alberta have formulated a primary school initiative that fosters both.
The Alberta Project Promoting Active Living & Healthy Eating, or APPLE
Schools program, conceived of at the U of A's School of Public Health,
was designed to create a culture of health promotion in local elementary
schools, in order to combat the effects of poor nutrition on the
learning process.

Prof digs deeper into links between depression and birth weight

Depression is a serious and debilitating illness that can last for
years. In Canada, the economic cost of the disease is estimated to be at
least $14 billion annually. "Depression is a huge problem in our society
yet its causes are not well understood," says Ian Colman, assistant
professor in the Department of Public Health Sciences at the School of
Public Health.

Infusing broad perspectives: A population health approach

The environment where you live, work, and play is affecting your health
and you may not even know it. The World Health Organization (WHO)
estimates that 24 per cent of the global disease burden and 23 per cent
of all deaths can be attributed to environmental factors.

Death rates for ATV users increase, riders cautioned to be safe

Health researchers at the University of Alberta are urging parents to
keep their young children off of all-terrain vehicles. The recreation
vehicles, known as ATVs, are too heavy for children under the age of 16
to either drive or ride on as passengers, say experts.

To see the full issue, visit
http://www.mymailout.com/MyMailout/View.aspx?id=85488&p=5677.

To subscribe, or to see back issues of Healthe-news, visit
http://www.publichealth.ualberta.ca/ENewsletter.cfm.

Donna Richardson
Manager, Faculty Communications

School of Public Health, University of Alberta

5-10 University Terrace, 8303 - 112 Street

Edmonton, AB, T6G 2T4, Canada

Phone: 780 492-1386

Fax: 780 492-9579

www.publichealth.ualberta.ca