From:
Diana Daghofer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:39:20 -0800
In its 3rd Status Report, the Canadian Paediatric Society asks, "Are We
Doing Enough?" It notes that public policy to support and enhance the health
of Canada's youngest citizens must include measures to eliminate child
poverty. The report and 10 Ways to Advocate for Child and Youth Health are
available on its website at:
<blocked::http://www.cps.ca/English/Advocacy/StatusReport.htm>
http://www.cps.ca/English/Advocacy/StatusReport.htm

NEWS RELEASE - OTTAWA - The Canadian Paediatric Society is calling upon
governments at all levels to commit themselves to ending child and youth
poverty in Canada. As part of its new report, Are We Doing Enough?, the CPS
calls for a national child poverty strategy, with provincial/territorial
targets and timetables to address disparities in income and opportunities.

"As Canadians, we insist on our right to universal health care, yet we do
not recognize the right of children and youth to grow up with adequate
resources," said pediatrician Dr. Andrew Lynk, chair of the CPS Action
Committee for Children and Teens. "Good health outcomes for growing children
are seriously compromised by poverty."

(See
<blocked::http://www.cps.ca/english/Media/NewsReleases/2009/ChildPoverty.htm
> http://www.cps.ca/english/Media/NewsReleases/2009/ChildPoverty.htm for the