From:
"Sankaran, Subha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 11:21:02 -0500
From Risk to Resilience: Connecting the Dots on South Asians and Stroke

Wednesday, March 4, 2009
8:30am – 4:30pm
Burnhamthorpe Community Centre
1500 Guelleden Drive, Mississauga, ON, L4X 2T7

Stroke is a growing issue in our communities – about 50,000 strokes occur each year, and roughly 300,000 Canadians are living with the effects of stroke. Stroke costs Ontario nearly $1billion annually. South Asians are among a number of ethnoracial communities at high risk for stroke. They are three times more likely to have high blood pressure than other Canadians, have higher rates of diabetes and cholesterol, and are a priority population for stroke prevention.

Connecting the Dots (CTD) is a multi-sectoral, community engagement initiative that helps us work together differently for better stroke (and chronic disease) outcomes and improved health for all. The CTD brings together a wide cross-section of community leaders to address complex problems in a new and innovative way.

Are you someone who
Ø	Works in the area of stroke and chronic disease?
Ø	Works with / for South Asian communities?
Ø	Provides services and supports to communities and professionals?
Ø	Works in policy and planning around these issues?
Ø	Works in a sector that impacts our health such as housing, education or settlement?
Ø	Works in Peel or the Greater Toronto Area?

Do you want to learn
Ø	What services, supports and resources are out there for stroke prevention,
        treatment, stroke survivors and their families?
Ø	How to prevent stroke effectively in South Asian communities?
Ø	What people from other sectors are doing and how your work can tie in with theirs?

If you answered yes to any of these, then you will certainly be interested in attending a fabulous, informative, interactive day where we will build a collective synergy to take our efforts to a new level.

CLOSING PANEL

Dr. David Mowat
Medical Officer of Health, Region of Peel, Public Health
Pegeen Walsh
Director, Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion,  Ministry of Health Promotion
Evelyn Myrie
Director, Peel Newcomer Strategy Group
In conversation with
Connie Clement, ED, Health Nexus

Other speakers include representatives from South Asian Organizations, Health Promotion, Health Care, Community Services and Researchers

Plus – a South Asian stroke survivor tells his story

Registration is Free.  However a $50 fee will be charged for “no shows”.

Subha Sankaran
Health Promotion Consultant
Health Nexus/Nexus Santé
(Formerly Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse)
180 Dundas Street West, Toronto ON M5G 1Z8
Tel. 416-408-2249 ext. 2245
www.healthnexus.ca