Sender:
From:
Larry Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2019 15:17:23 +0000
Dear forum members:

Please see the following call.

--Larry Howe
President, Mark Twain Circle of America

CFP Mark Twain Circle of America for ALA 2020

Title: “Mark Twain Reading/Reading Mark Twain”

Mark Twain was an avid—and participatory—reader, combing through texts with pencil in hand, marking and annotating as he went. His characters read, too--and they leave evidence of their reading in their dialogue and their own writings.  Furthermore, Twain’s own readers show the impact of his writings in the plots, characters, and satirical episodes written in Twain’s wake.  The MTC call for proposals for the 2020 ALA conference focuses on reading broadly defined, including--but not limited to--what, how, and where Twain read, the influence of his reading on his writings, and the impact of Twain’s own works on subsequent writers.

We enthusiastically encourage junior and emerging scholars to present their work.  Graduate students chosen to present may apply for a grant from Mark Twain Circle’s Louis Budd Travel Fund to help defray some of the costs of attending the conference.

While we seek submissions without restriction, all presenters must be active members of the Mark Twain Circle at the time of the conference (information about membership is available at our website  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__marktwaincircle.org_join-2Dthe-2Dmark-2Dtwain-2Dcircle-2Dof-2Damerica-2D2_join_&d=DwIF-g&c=a-IB_GMEfAZCNvTl5o6ZExYKmR-HZTqw1M_ZxQv8eiY&r=M7fe_5tVzFcSaDV_TGyMVieQKup7oSC-0rxoDyxcCJY&m=pRa9nmOaBS1w9DXVBgB_cjHqoWHBsQzecGwxtgjOaLc&s=TLRywYb7JEC8UlczZy7pQDkGazcAydA13fPetYlnspY&e=

Presentations sponsored by the Mark Twain Circle are often developed into articles that appear in the Mark Twain Annual, published by Penn State University Press.

Send proposals (400 words or fewer) by January 15, 2020 to Larry Howe, president of the Mark Twain Circle ([log in to unmask]).