From:
Paul Schullery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2019 11:43:55 -0600
It’s bigger than that—I think it’s safe to say that crackpotism thrives as a perpetual outlier on the fringe of virtually every element of every humanities discipline. For all I know, it’s as common in the sciences. It is the great irony of this situation that at intervals of utterly unpredictable duration one of those seemingly loony souls turns out to be just genius enough to make some new kind of sense and thus shake up a given discipline beyond all imagining.

Perhaps that means we need them, but having dealt with a few in various disciplines over the years I still desperately want to believe that there must be an easier way forward.

Paul Schullery