From:
miki pfeffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2019 10:46:23 -0500
I want to thank Alan Rankin for finding and respecting Nina Gabrilowitsch's
diary and for offering its salient points to the Twain community.
The excerpts he chose for the Twain site are marvelously revealing and
enticing in much the same way as are Anne Frank's and with the great irony
of another tragic end.
Rankin's own story of first reading the diary and researching the somewhat
anonymous young girl is gratifying
It is good he came to appreciate this young writer before he ever knew who
she was.

I am glad he laid the requested items on her grave, and I can relate to his
crying there.
I had a similar experience over the tragedies in that family as I sat last
year on the porch of Quarry Farm reading over my talk for that evening,
As I read through the letters of New Orleans writer Grace King and the
Clemenses that I had chosen for presenting, I surprised myself by breaking
into tears.  It was all I could do to hold it together that night as I
delivered the last exchanges between Clara Clemens and King.

The volume that includes those letters will be available for reading in a
few weeks as *A New Orleans Author in Mark Twain's Court: Grace King's
Letters from New England Sojourns*.

There, Clara does mention Nina in passing in her final few letters, one
when Nina was a sophomore in college.
I would like to exchange emails with Alan Rankin and thank him again for
his fine discovery and his good, good work in awakening us to a young
girl's humanity.

Miki Pfeffer

--
Miki Pfeffer, Ph D
*A New Orleans Author in Mark Twain's Court: Letters from Grace King's New