From:
Martha Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 2019 09:04:55 -0800
The idea of a device which could control telepathic communication (which on
the whole people were more inclined to believe in before telephones and
radio) was around. Twain might have been familiar with this case from the
early 19th century. https://www.theairloom.org/mindcontrol.php  There are
some inaccuracies in this treatment which is based on the assumption that
the machine James Mathews imagined, which contemporaries dismissed as the
delusions of a madman, actually existed. Thew similarity with more modern
perceptions of mind control by space aliens is striking.

Martha Sherwood