From:
Mac Donnell Rare Books <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2019 12:26:47 +0000

Rosina Hay (1852-1926)

My personal catalogue notes record that she was nursemaid to Susie,
Clara, and perhaps Julie Langdon as early as 1874, possibly earlier, and
left the employ of the Clemens family in August 1883 to get married and
moved to upstate NY. Here's a photo of her with Susie and Clara in 1875.
The greenhouse in the background no longer exists, but was located
between the Twain and Stowe houses. Part of the Franklin Chamberlain
carriage house is visible in this image as well. Rosina also appears at
the far left in a group photo taken under the porte cochere at Quarry
Farm in July 1874 (before the porch was enlarged), holding Susie, in
which Auntie Cord appears to her immediate left, and the study appears
in the distant background. That photo has been published. I also have an
unpublished image of her with either Susie Clemens or Julie Langdon
sitting in front of the porch at Quarry Farm with some sheep and
chickens. Rosina gets prominently mention in A Family Sketch (pp. 19,
21, 36-39, 87-89, 181), and in MTA2:241-42, and is elsewhere mentioned
as the "German nursemaid."

Steve Courtney and the folks at Hartford might be able to supply more
info., or amend my notes.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books