Sender:
From:
Tasha Beauchamp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:29:44 -0700
I'll offer a start in the distinction. I believe that a needs assessment is
typically oriented around "what's missing" "what's wrong" whereas an
environmental scan would include things like Asset Mapping, which sheds
light on "what's right," the strengths in the situation. The latter makes
for a more balanced picture of the resources, and lack of resources that
can be applied to address a situation.

That's a start anyway.

Tasha Beauchamp

>Dear CLICK4HP members: We are two Research Technical Assistants, funded by
>the Canadian Strategy on HIV/AIDS, Health Canada, working in Alberta and
>Ontario to build the capacity of community-based HIV/AIDS organizations to
>use and produce research in order to build evidence-based practice.  A
>question has come up from our member organizations that we would like some
>help with:  What distinguishes an environmental scan from a needs
>assessment? What are the differences in terms of methods, purpose and
>definition? Any input and/or references would be appreciated.  Thank you.
>San Patten - Community-Based Research Coordinator, Alberta Community
>Council on HIVLea Narciso - Community-Based Research Coordinator, Ontario
>AIDS Network
>

>Lea Narciso, Program Director, CBR Capacity Building
>Ontario AIDS Network
>25 Adelaide Street East, Suite 915
>Toronto, Ontario M5C 3A1
>Tel: 416-364-4555 Ext. 306

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Natasha Beauchamp
Project Coordinator
ORegon Center for Applied Science, Inc. (ORCAS)
1839 Garden Ave.
Eugene, OR  97405

Tel: (541) 342-7227
Toll Free: (888) 349-5472