Sender:
From:
Horn Jason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:51:54 -0400
_HF_ certainly, to a degree, focuses on "race relations in the wake of
race slavery," but I do believe it is about more than just this.  I
think the book is meaningful to readers for the inward growth of its
hero and its exploration of one of Twain's favorite topics: training.
Twain, yet again, explores the extent to which Huck's actions and
thoughts are determined by his environment and the extent to which he
can freely choose to think differently from his training--which also
brings in religion to a great extent.  So religion may be yet another
meaningful avenue into the significance of _HF_.  But, then, this is
why, I believe, so much of HF transcends historical reality.

--Jason Horn