From:
Alan Kitty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2019 15:22:28 -0400
Missouri is a midwestern state. Probably 90% or more of the white population would have pronounced it “ant.” Clemens mother was from Kentucky and might have preferred “ont” depending on her family’s dialectic predisposition. And she was undoubtedly the
most influential adult in his Life during his formative years.

But I would offer that Twain might have pronounced it every which way, depending upon the material he was giving on a given day, and whether he was speaking publicly or
privately. This may explain the reference to his “drawl” by local reviewers. It also explains why William Gillette, an accomplished actor who grew up around Clemens” daughters, used a Midwestern accent (where “ant” is the default) in his recorded impression of Twain.

In short, I believe SLC used dialect the same way actors are known to do when depicting regional characters.

Alan Kitty, Executive Director
Mark Twain Education Society

Sent from my iPhone