Sender:
From:
Michael Kiskis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 14:07:17 -0500
I am a little surprised at the level of vitriol aimed at Gropnick.  We might
disagree with his assessment of the autobiography volume, but we need not
try to diminish him as a writer or a person (he has in fact quite an
extensive record as a writer and New Yorker contributor).  I think this
happens too often when our image of Mark Twain is challenged or if someone
turns away from a conventional response to Twain.  It makes us seem a bit
like radical fundamentalists in the tone of our response.

--
Michael J. Kiskis
Leonard Tydings Grant Professor of American Literature