From:
"John H. Muller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2012 15:27:06 -0500
Howard,

Thank you for your reply. I apologize about the lack of clarity in my
inquiry. I have the text of "General Washington's Negro Body-Servant" but I
don't have much in terms of its genesis or context outside of the text
itself. I'd like to confirm or refute my suspicion that when Twain was in
D.C. he would have heard this story told and re-told on the streets, bars,
halls of Congress, etc. Being familiar with it as a frequent item in
newspapers, my speculation is Twain wrote "General Washington's Negro
Body-Servant" to show the silliness of the the frequently told story.

In 1819 Charles Wilson Peale painted Yarrow Mamout in Georgetown who was
believed to be 140 years old. There's a recent book about Yarrow, *Slave
Ship to Harvard** -- *
http://www.amazon.com/Slave-Ship-Harvard-History-American/dp/0823239500
*
*
With this said, I'm trying to over turn ever rock I can for more
information about this Twain piece. In *Runaway and Freed Missouri  Slaves
and Those Who Helped Them, 1763 - 1865* there's a brief mention of the
story in context. http://bit.ly/10rQ02B.

I have yet to dig into Twain's Notebooks & Journals which will hopefully
provide some insights. But overall it doesn't look like there has been much
independent study of this story or at least I haven't stumbled upon it yet.

Appreciate your help and time.

Thanks,
John

--